Who are the LSWO Youth Winds?
The LSWO Youth Winds is made up of 60 woodwind, brass, and percussion players who are in grades 9-12. The LSWO Youth Winds is selected from the most outstanding young musicians from the North Texas community. These young musicians are placed in a professional environment that facilitates measured musical progress through regular rehearsals, sectionals, performances, and interaction with composers and other renowned musicians. Overall, the ensemble offers musicians hours per year of intense, small group sectional instruction from highly regarded professionals.
Purpose of the LSWO Youth Winds
Through rehearsal and performance of outstanding repertoire, the LSWO Youth Winds seeks to facilitate artistic and intellectual experiences for the highly-motivated young musician, which, in turn will foster creativity, cultural awareness and a life-long love of the arts.
Musicians of the LSWO Youth Winds
- All musicians are required to participate in their school music programs.
- Students must provide written confirmation from band directors confirming active participation in their school band program. If confirmation is not received by the audition date, the musician will forfeit his or her position with the LSWO Youth Winds.
- Tuition for the 2012-2013 LSWO Youth Winds concert season is $450. Partial scholarships based solely on financial need are available for students for whom tuition represents a financial burden.
- Each family will be asked to provide a rehearsal snack and to sign up for volunteer activities, donating time each season to the LSWO Youth Winds Support Guild.
What students are saying about the LSWO Youth Winds.
- "Great for sight reading! It really gets you to think and learn music fast."
- "It is a way to meet new people who love music so much as me."
- "It’s a great way to meet new friends from around the region."
- "It provides a musical experience that is both enjoyable and valuable."
- "We play really cool music and it’s a lot of fun rehearsing."
- "Challenging experience where you are held accountable for your part in a group of excellent players. There is never a dull moment."
What parents are saying about the LSWO Youth Winds.
- "LSWO is a great organization providing the students to perform music on a challenging level, while keeping it fun, too. The exposure to high quality directors/musicians and even the possibility to play with/learn under a composer is a unique opportunity. How can you not support your kids?!"
- "The experience has challenged my daughter in many ways: (1) To be exposed to different genres of music; (2) To understand a higher level of music; (3) To perform with a premier group of musicians; (3) To be exposed to a different style of instruction; (4) To challenge herself to stretch her music knowledge/beyond her current comfort level."
2012-2013 Concert Season & Rehearsal Schedule
Rehearsals are held in the band room of J.J. Pearce High School in Richardson and generally fall on Sunday afternoons and select Saturday afternoons. Typically, seven rehearsals precede a concert.
Directions to J.J. Pearce High School: 1600 N. Coit Rd. • Richardson, TX 75080
Concert dates for the 2012-2013 Concert Season are December 9, 2012, March 3, 2013, and May 12, 2013.